It's been too long since I've blogged. I feel out of touch with my own world if I haven't written about it! Strange introspection there, but I guess it's true. I had brought a spiral-bound notebook with me to Baltimore, with the intention of writing in it every day. I wrote a half of an entry. Yes a half. I was too tired to continue after about a paragraph. Then... I don't know. I guess I got caught up in my new world.
I like Baltimore. I've had prejudices about the city forever. Probably because the only time I was ever there, I was like 3 and spent time in the ER. I tell people I almost died there. Whether or not that's true, it was true in my 3-yr old mind. I vividly remember two things about Baltimore: 1) Waking up on a gurney and screaming while they were trying to repeatedly poke me to find a vein. and 2) Throwing up Apple Jacks cereal in the rental car... ick. To this DAY, I won't touch Apple Jacks. And I also have an uneasy feeling every time I'm in a car with red interior. Seriously.
Friday marked 1 week that I've been there. I got in late Friday evening, and spent Saturday & Sunday exploring my neighborhood a bit. I live right behind Baltimore Street, which I learned from my cable-guy is "the Block". There's even a Larry Flynt Hustler Club there. In the same area is the local courthouse, and police HQ. *shrug* I don't feel unsafe, but I'm not hanging out outside, either... there's a lot of shady stuff that goes on there. Hold the purse tight, and walk with a purpose, ya know?
I'm about 5 blocks or so from the Harbor. And my hospital is another 2 blocks away from that. I walked to work every day this past week... and have loved every minute of it! (It would take just as long to drive as it would to walk, so my truck is sitting in the Valet garage). Notsomuch sure how I'm gonna handle that when it REALLY gets cold... I don't know what this California girl is gonna do when there's actually several inches of snow on the ground!! But I hope I'll continue to walk.. I enjoy it. Headpones in, and listen to heavy music along the route.
I bought myself a big knee-length down parka the day after I moved in, because I quickly realized that my wimpy jacket would NEVER do! Today, I bought myself some boots.. two pairs. One galoshes, and the other a suede/shearling boot. I was kicking my butt for buying myself things when I'm still waiting to get paid from Piedmont, but the way I see it, these things will pretty much be necessities if I am to continue to walk through the coldest points of the year!
Yes, still waiting to get paid. I went PRN at my local (SC) hospital. And when you go PRN, they are supposed to cash out your PTO. Well, I've got over 160 hours in my bank, and I'm still waiting to see that money. ::Groan:: I could REALLLY use it about now, Piedmont. And it's MINE! I earned it! Somehow I see them trying to screw me out of them.
::change of subject before i cry::
The drive from Baltimore to BFE... it's long. About 8.5 hrs long. My butt hurt from sitting that much! I wish my stereo played mp3's, because ((xm)) just isn't cutting it these days. I've said it before, but it bears repeating- ((xm)) has pretty much sucked ever since they got rid of the punk channel! I don't think it's coming back... I did some reading, and one of the stipulations of the xm/sirius merger was to create a bunch of "minority" programming. I guess their way of freeing up and making room for that was to delete what's perceived as "skinhead" music. ::eyeroll::. I really may cancel the service.. it's just not enjoyable like it used to be. And at home I listen to internet radio over the xm, so what good is it? (especially when most days my truck is sitting in the garage!)
I love that I have a great (nosy) neighbor! I checked in with her before I left. Last night when I came home, it was late... and first thing this morning, my neighbor called me to say, "You're back!! Is everything ok? Are you staying home?" <333 Southern nosy neighbors give an increased feeling of safety when you're leaving your place all alone and vulnerable. My security alarm is great, but a nosy neighbor is icing on that cake! :D
Ok, i think I'm done for now. I took a lot of pictures & video... was planning on vlogging, but I accidentally deleted a BUNCH of shit off my SD card. I do have some pictures on my laptop. Will upload later. May try to scrape a vlog out of it eventually... but for now this is it. I've written.. and I feel more at peace.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Ramblings from BFE
Posted by AKAKatydid at 10:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment