Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Workplace violence.


Jacked up thoughts on a jacked up day.

It's been a long time since I've wanted to go all violent on someone. But I had a patient that wore through every shred of patience and sanity I'd stored up. Even my "I'm quitting soon" attitude, I thought made me impervious to everything totally went out the window. This bitch threw her medicines in the morning. She shit all over the floor in the afternoon. She threw gobs of towels in the toilet, and backed up her plumbing system. She claimed to have one less lung than she actually had. (!! yes!) She complained about everyone. Mostly when it came to the complaints, I didn't care. But I was still ticked at the show she put on for everyone. Complaining about everybody! I offered to help her spell my name properly when the threatened to call administration on me.

3mg Dilaudid q4hrs. That's a nice little push. (Esp considering that goes along with regular doses of Xanax, Depakote, Vicodin, & Benadryl!) I diluted the Dilaudid in a 10ml syringe and gave it via slow IV push. She tried to "report" me. Saying I was HURTING her, because the Dilaudid doesn't work as well when I dilute it. (Yeah, it was a useless complaint, but it still added to my frustration!) I tried to fill out her MRI questionaire, and while i was asking her questions about possible metal in her body, she's sitting there polishing her nails. (grr) I asked her if she'd ever been a machinist or welder (part of the standardized sheet) and she said "I don't remember". Um, I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I've ever been a welder. She even called to complain because when she asked for crackers, my tech brought her one pack.. she was mad because they were being stingy with the crackers. ::eyeroll::

I told my manager that I was going to punch this patient in the throat, and yank out her voicebox while my fist was inside her. To which my manager replied, "I think Patrick Swayze did that in Road House". Um, remind me to rent that movie! I'll need it should I ever have a night like tonight again.

I hate how we get treated by patients, and yet are expected to cater to their every whim. Last I checked, this is a HOSPITAL, not the HILTON. You start refusing medicines, and you start throwing pills and (literally) shit on the floor, you can leave. I truly am willing to help the sick, but the assholes, that abuse the system try my last nerves. When did people get so many damned "RIGHTS"?!? [/rant]

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com