Monday, November 14, 2005

51-50

I really thought everyone knew what a 5150 was. As in she completely went 5150 and started throwing things all over the place, so now she's here in the hospital! I said something about someone going 5150 the other day at school, and they all gave me this blank look. I started to tell them, it's a legal code... they all thought I was just strange for citing penal code sections. 5150 is becomes not just a legal code, but an adjective... and is used in everyday language. It is widely recognized by most people I know (Except, as I've learned, by people here in the south!) ... its no different than hearing that there's been a 187 on Main Street. ...know what I mean?

So just what is a 5150? It's a CA penal code that allows officers to take someone in involuntarily - should the officer have "probable cause to believe that the person is, as a result of mental disorder, a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled." It automatically calls for a 72 hour hold in an institution so that further assessments can be made. Learn about it here.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com