Once again, I've managed to go almost ages since I've written.
Was tickled by the fact I read about an ERCP on Wed in class, and actually had a patient at work on Saturday that was going in for an ERCP. (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography - read about it here). You can teach me all you want about lab values and chemical reactions... it goes in one ear and out the other. Sometimes it stays long enough to make it onto the Scantron form for the next test, but the knowledge dissipates quickly. Now, give me something where I can apply it, and we're talking! (I should be knowing those lab values by heart, too. I'm just kinda spoiled by the fact that every printout I've ever seen has H or L next to the abnormals!!) <~~ I need to paste flashcards around the house or something -because I can guarantee those values won't be bolded on the NCLEX!
Had a meeting down at the Red Cross last week... meant to write about this last time! They're seeking volunteers to commit to 3 weeks deployment for disaster services. Felt awful, but had to tell them no. There's no way I'd be able to make up 3 weeks of class. I guess the Red Cross is pretty desperate... new volunteers don't need anything special; all they require is a 2 hour seminar on "disaster services". I think the "seminar" only entails watching a video. They aren't even requiring special skills or proof of immunizations... nothing! (Trust me, we asked!) Everyone who is qualified in our chapter is already gone to Texas & Alabama, etc. We're on standby in our area for a local MASH shelter to be put in place, as the existing shelters are getting close to full. I let the volunteer coordinator know that I'd be glad to volunteer at the local shelter anytime. ..btw, i don't know why they call it a MASH shelter. Doesn't that stand for Mobile something Surgical Hospital? *shrug*
Oooh!!! I almost forgot about this one... Last week I did my clinicals at a local clubhouse for mentally ill adults. About 90% of their patients are schizophrenics. I had a ball... it was SO not like when I got sent to the psych ward at the hospital. These people were not in crisis, but rather in a state of maintenance. Totally a different story from what I saw before... and yay, none of them looked like Frankenstein! (thank GOD). So one of the activities during the day was a poetry therapy group. Fascinating! There's this guy who is prior client - a paranoid schizophrenic, I think. He is interested in poetry, and comes in once a week to lead a poetry-writing & exploring workshop with current clients. So he shared Dickinson's "I'm Nobody" and asked us to write a poem starting off with "I'm Somebody" instead... Great idea - esp for a therapy session! Ok, so I participated, of course! (You can't just sit and watch them... it really would be rude). The guy asked me to read my poem, and (HA!) criticized it. Said it was "Too Prosey". I didn't think it was a critiquing session, but rather a poetry therapy group.
I just thought that was too funny... No, my feelings weren't hurt. I was a bit shocked at how bitterly he disliked it, but really just wanted to laugh. I took a poetry writing course in college about 8 or 9 years ago. I know that there are things some people are going to like, and some people are going to scrunch their nose at. The best part was watching all the clients react to his words... they looked like they were so defensive for me!
By the way, I had a blast listening to what others' wrote. It's kinda funny how you can see elements of the issues they're battling in their writings. It was like opening a little window into them. If you ever get the opportunity - drop on in to a poetry therapy group! I'm sure it won't disappoint!
That's it for now. I've got a test on NG tubes & GI disorders in the morning, so it's off to study-land!
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Post-Scantron Amnesia?
Posted by AKAKatydid at 5:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Big bid for Skype
In a deal worth $2.6 billion, online auctioneer eBay has added Skye's Net phone service to assets that include Shopping.com and PayPal.
I recycle my old stuff here moto maybe you should too
Porsche announces development of Cayenne Hybrid
On the heels of the announcement that Porsche, Volkswagen and Audi will team up to develop gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles , Porsche said that it will build a hybrid version of its Cayenne SUV.
Just blog surfing when I stumbled across your site. One word, Thanks! I have a small one.
It's a attention deficit disorder in teen site/blog. Not necessarily your area of interest. It pretty much covers attention deficit disorder in teen related stuff.
Drop by some time.
Post a Comment