Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Happy Birthday, America!

Well, it's Independence Day again. (I guess officially, it's over, but since i haven't slept yet, it doesn't count as the next day for me!) It seemed to be the day for barbeques and fireworks... but somehow I think people forget here what else it is... it's time to be thankful for how lucky we are to live in a democracy... how lucky I am, for example, to have this blog and say whatever the hell I want to on it. How lucky I am to be able to educate myself, and have a job and earn money that I can spend in a fashion that I desire... How lucky I am to have shoes on my feet, clothes on my back, and a pillow under my head.

I believe that too many people take freedom for granted. We are very lucky to be able to have a democratic government... and the power to choose our leaders. I'm sure I'll hit this one again in November, but I believe that all is lost if you don't follow your politics and vote responsibly! People that say their vote doesn't count truly don't understand the workings of our country - time to go back to government class.

I grew up in a town right outside
Travis AFB, and am a daughter of two Air Force veterans. (Actually tried to join myself, but the military has a thing about enlisting people with asthma!) I take enormous pride in my country, and in those that protect my rights. I will not take either for granted. So this, being Independence Day, is a time to appreciate what it means to have your independence... thank a veteran; thank a soldier; thank god... BE THANKFUL.

Yes, have your barbeques and your fireworks. Please celebrate - yet understand what you are celebrating. We are in a war right now. There are many people out there who don't seem to realize, or seem to care just what we are battling for... we are battling to help allow others to have what so many of us take for granted every day. Do not take this great country for granted!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com