Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rambles & Shambles?

Not even going to pretend that I understand what's going on with the elections in Iran right now. I've tried to read news headlines, but it's lost on me. The humanitarian in me is aware that there's this so-called "peacekeeping" and stuff, but the realist in me is sick of it. I think, pending loss of life or limb (at which there is great risk), our troops have more job security than any of us right now. Bitter? Not really. Realistic. Kinda hard to think about the billions of dollars poured into others' worlds when the taxpayers here at home are sick, homeless, & not getting the healthcare they need.

There's this bullshit line that's been thrown around for years about how nurses will never hurt for jobs. Please tell that to all my friends in BFE that have lost their jobs in the last few months. Try and explain that to my recruiter who has sent my resume to countless different institutions with no response back, because they just can't afford to hire at this time. Hospitals are going under because people aren't paying, because people aren't employed and insured. People aren't getting their prescriptions filled because they can't afford them. They aren't coming in at the first sign of sickness. Instead, they put it off until it's too late. They come to the hospital sicker than they ever did.

I'm not going to harp on it.. it's just a pretty fucked situation all around. I've managed to save up about 2 months' worth of expenses, so it will be tight, but I'll be ok for a little bit. I'm here for about 3 more weeks. Hopefully, I can line up a job in this time, though. I'm kinda looking to go home and spend some time at my own house, but I also know what goes with that... sigh. *shrug* Maybe I'll keep myself busy by cleaning? I've disconnected my cable tv & internet, so it'll be ... interesting. (Define interesting as you will, lol!)

So, yesterday was my dad's birthday. Those that know me well know that Mr. Dad is #1 in my book. Always has been, and I can't imagine anyone superseding that spot. Spent about an hour talking with him on the phone last night, and it was glorious. He's not a phone talker, but since we don't see each other often, or even talk often, I think he truly delights in those phone conversations. This morning I'd done some reflecting, and I'm going try and say this without tears, but today I am so thankful for my dad's 20 years of sobriety.

That's all. Now, I must go to sleep so I can save the world tonight.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com