So this weekend, I ate a modified version of the "Death Dinner," and thought to myself that it's been an awful long time since I've eaten one of those.
For those not familiar with the "death dinner," let me explain.. If you've found your way here, you probably know me at least a little bit. And if that's the case, you know I have a slightly twisted, morbid sense of humor. So, that preface aside, you know when people die, you bring food over. It's what you're supposed to do. The "death dinner" is nothing more than the fried chicken special from the grocery store. We always went to Albertson's -- it's fried chicken, plus Hawaiian sweet rolls, and your choice of either potato or macaroni salad. Well at one point, we'd had quite a few people we knew die in a short time - and it seemed like we'd always gone and bought (or someone we knew had bought) the Albertson's fried chicken dinner. I began to call it "the death dinner" and the name stuck within my family.
I'm not always crazy about fried chicken, so I almost never buy it. But I did go to Albertson's deli this weekend and buy their macaroni salad & Hawaiian rolls. Absolutely delicious. ... I don't know why I'm saying this- it's just what's on my mind. I guess there's this little foreboding voice that says "you knew subconsciously that you should be buying this," and I hope that it was all just some big coincidence.
***
I've been feeling pretty crappy lately. Woke up Wednesday with a mad-sore throat, and it still hadn't gotten better. On Saturday afternoon, I finally gave in and headed to get checked out. I looked for urgent care clinics on my health plan, but none were listed as covered. (Tried to call to see if they could help, but as luck would have it, they're M-F only). So I called the local hospital that's around the corner from my house and asked if they had an urgent care center around. I told the girl that I hate to come to the ER for a sore throat, but nobody seemed to be open & I don't really know my way around. She told me that their ER wasn't busy, and welcomed me to come by. (Whoa-really?) So I did- the place is like a quarter mile from my apartment (so convenient) and I've got to say, I was totally impressed - really. In & out in like 90 minutes. Really really good for an ER! (especially when you come in for something lame like a sore throat.. I kept apologizing for wasting an ER visit for that!)
Turns out it was just as I expected, and I've got strep throat. No wonder I've been feeling all icky and altogether achy. So, I'm rockin' the Keflex. $75 ER copay, & $35 at the pharmacy... I guess I didn't fare too bad. I'm starting to feel a teeny bit better, not as much blaaaah malaise (still don't feel great, but it'll come). I've been lying on the couch pretty much all day watching movies that I downloaded from online... Right now I'm on my 4th movie today - I don't think I've *ever* stayed still that long to watch 4 movies in a day. There you have it, though - I've got no sick time, and I'm not really allowed to call out, so I'm just letting myself be blehhh today, in hopes that I'll be better in time for work tomorrow.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment