Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Is Bono God? Celeb politics...

For some reason, I have this U2 song stuck in my head "All I Want is You". Not sure why. I tell people I hate U2, but really, for the most part, I like their music, and have even purchased a few of their albums. I think mostly, I just get annoyed at Bono's behavior. Sometimes I wonder if he really believes he is a God.
I really can't knock him. He is a charitable fellow - and he stands up for what he believes in. I think it's a double-edged sword though, celebrities endorsing political views. It's wonderful that they encourage people to enter the world of politics, to follow our government, and speak out. But are they doing more harm than good? I have friends whose votes are heavily influenced by their favorite celebrities' stance. And I don't know how many people (I'm sure the number is incalculable) who vote solely on party labels.
I've said a bazillion times that I think we are soo fortunate for our right to vote and to have a say in our government. I'm also vocal with my accordance in the "don't vote: don't bitch" point-of-view. However, even more dangerous to me, are those that shamelessly throw their vote in whatever direction the wind happens to be blowing. Is it not dangerous to vote - to officially record your stance on government policy- when you haven't even been briefed on it? To choose someone to speak for you, and make decisions for you... when you don't even know their track record?
*All I can say is "You all up in the Kool-Aid, and don't even know the flavor!"
People want to talk about voting reform. Yes, there could be improvements to the system, but why try and reform voting when you don't first have responsible voters? Make informed decisions for ALL aspects of your life, for chrissake!
[/rant]

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com