I don't know why people refuse to believe other people have allergies.
I have allergies. I can't tell you how angry it makes me when people trivialize them, or tell me that I'm making it up, that it's all in my head. *eyeroll*
I'm allergic to cats. Bad. Send me to a house with a housecat, and we're in for trouble. My eyes water, and itch and get all swollen and puffy... my asthma kicks in, and I begin to have trouble breathing. If I don't get out of the situation quickly, a full-blown asthma attack is sure to ensue. My grandma, rest her soul, never seemed to believe the seriousness of my allergies. Guess nobody ever understood why I always had to leave halfway through Christmas dinner to go grab my inhaler... or why I was otherwise lethargic, drugged to the max on Benadryl!
I'm also allergic to dog spit. It's taken forever, but I've ruled it down... used to think it was dogs, but it's just their slobber. I do well with non-spitty dogs, like poodles and labs. Play fetch with a spitty dog, and my hands get red and itchy and break out in hives. Get a dog to "kiss" me, and it's all over. A lick to the face makes me look like I've been in the room with a cat.
A guy told me once that it wasn't POSSIBLE for me to be allergic to dog spit because a dog's mouth has less germs than a human's... and therefore any allergies I have are all in my head. Some people are retarded. Thank GOD my allergies are not so life threatening. I wonder how many people have died of anaphylactic shock because someone didn't believe their allergies were real..
Monday, June 20, 2005
Allergies: not just an urban legend
Posted by AKAKatydid at 10:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hey NC girl!
I floated on over to your site from Shawn's blog and this post caught my attention, as I've recently discovered I have a few food allergies (I never used to have food allergies...). I've noticed that my tongue would randomly swell while eating, but for almost a year, I couldn't narrow it down. Then recently, while trying that (not very good) new McD's Fruit and Walnut salad, about half way through my tongue started to swell up and I could hardly eat. :(
Then the other night, I had this stir-fry dinner with some (less) nuts in it, I think they were peanuts. I felt my tongue start to swell, tho mild in comparison. DAMNIT! I think I've developed an allegry to nuts! :( I've also found out I'm allergic to Lactose. :( Damn Mediterranian genetics. A friend told me there's a test I can have done that involves a bunch of needles and they stick you in the back to test any/all possible allergies. While that sounds pretty unpleasant, I'll prob. need to have that done soon... I hear nut allergies can get really bad over time. :( I just keep trying to tell myself that if I can have a tattoo done on my back, I can have this done. (just keep telling yourself that Dawn...) :)
Post a Comment