Tuesday, June 21, 2005

6/21 Stuff on my mind...

Officially finished maternity today! (YAY!) Took the final exam - I know I passed, but I don't know what my final score was. I think I'm in the mid-80's, but I don't know exactly where. The grading scale for it is so fouled up, that I could fall anywhere on the scale. Check this one out...

A 95-100
A- 93-94
B+ 90-92
B 88-89
B- 86-87
C+ 84-52
C 82-83
C- 80-81
[Below C is not considered passing]

Point is, I passed, so I guess I shouldn't care. Right now I'm "celebrating" by relaxing and cherishing the fact that for once I don't have to be in Charlotte at 0645 on Wed AM. (and I'm relaxing with a big fat glass of V. Sattui wine!! Mmmm...)
Yeah, I'd love to go back there right about now and have a picnic on their grounds. Hey, Kace? How 'bout lets set a date?? I know we're both overdue for some more yummmy wines. And hey, remember that little old guy, the owner's uncle that was feeding us "The Babymaker?!?" Wasn't he a cutie pie?? *sigh* well, ok it's not practical for us to be going out there if there's no deaths or weddings. K, let's order another big shipment, and have a picnic in the woods at your new backyard!! :) (psst... if anyone we know is dying or getting married, call me though!)

God I'm awful!! I have a feeling I'm going to look at this post and regret it in the morning!!

I had a patient ask me last weekend if I was in school. I grinned, and said yes. (yeah, believe it or not, patients ask this a lot. I guess they start to notice a pattern in the fact that all the techs are nurse wannabe's!) Anyway, this one shocked me... she then asked me what grade I was in! I was like, "Um, I'm 27 ma'am". She just laughed and said, "oh, so you aren't in a grade anymore! You're in College!!". I'm thinking I'll take that as a compliment! Hey, at least I'm not an old hag! :)

Ok, something I'm falling in love with all over again: The Sklar Brothers. It started with dear ol' Kace... she caught a special like a hundred years ago* on Comedy Central and told me I just HAD to watch it. Holy crap, we laughed till we cried, and damn near pissed our pants! Ok... so that was like a hundred years ago*. (*kendra-speak for a long damn time ago) Then, while I was living in Sebastopol, I caught this new show, Cheap Seats. (hey, at the time Sebastopol only had like 20 channels... I never would have tuned to it if I knew it was ESPN!) I fell in love with it immediately! Laughed so hard I hurt my sides. It was the episode with these triatheletes competing with dogs (and not even THEIR dogs) that sold me! I watched it faithfully, until shortly after I moved, when my schedule started getting too crazy to keep up with tv.
Well this weekend, I had to play "sitter" at work. Being a sitter, is pretty much just what it sounds like... ya got to sit in the patient' room to make sure they behave. (in this case, we had a patient going thru DT's.) Anyay, she slept a lot, and I was able to catch like four hours of Cheap Seats! Gawd, I love that show... and as I told Keri on the phone earlier - I decided Jason Sklar is HOT. Mmmm. Hot, buttery Sklars! *grin*

Before I go, one somber thing I just want to get off my chest: we've got this lady... sweet as can be. She's got full blown AIDS, and is Hep C+. She's been in and out since before I started working there. It's getting worse, and I don't know how much longer she has with us on this earth. I think about this each week before I come back to my shift. I know she's in pain, and she's fighting an amazing fight. We know she will not get better. I root for her, and each week I creep in slowly and ask if she is still around - not sure whether to root for her to stay, or for her to pass and free herself. She's committed herself to fighting every step of the way, and I applaud her for the courage and strength that she's shown.
She's got the most amazing son.. he stays with her and takes care of her almost all the dang time. Whenever he's not at work, he's pretty much at the hospital with his mother. He's a living angel... Truly. Beautiful both inside and out. I know she knows how special he is. I don't know how he does it, and I hold him in the highest regard.
I wish I could say more.. but honestly, I'm not sure where to draw the line, so I'd best not say anything. More than anything, this family wants their privacy, and I will give them that. I hold this family in the highest regard... and there's really not a lot of point to this story other than putting it out there... I think about these people a lot. Her passing is inevitable - it's just a matter of when, and I know that I will feel a deep sorrow when she goes. Fuck anyone that says not to get too attached... when you take care of someone for this long, you get to know them and their family. They are amazing kind-hearted souls that show the greatest devotion and respect for each other... I wish more people were like that.
*whew* Damn near started crying here... Time to end this thing... written a whole book practically! Going to hafta make a point to come back online in the AM to see if I need to do some major editing here. (my guess is probably so!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sunshine!!! I don't know why but I was just thinking about you this morning and so I decided that since I have not spoken to you in a while and don't have a clue as to what is happening in your life, that I would take a peak at your blog.(Frog?)!!!LOL. It is pretty bad that I have to look on your site just to see how you are doing but no complaints here I guess. Something is better than nothing. I am so proud of you for finishing maternity. You did well!!! You deserve a break now. Yeah, like that will ever happen huh! Well I guess I better get back to staring at this ugly wall at work because that is all I am going to be doing for the next two days until I head off to Florida on Friday. Whoopppeee (that was sarcastic):)

 
template by suckmylolly.com